Julia Dent Grant, wife of Ulysses S. Grant, the 18th President of the United States, was born in St. Louis, Missouri on January 26, 1826, the daughter of Frederick and Ellen Wrenshall Dent. On August 22, 1848, she married Lt. U.S. Grant, who was stationed at Jefferson Barracks.
Through all the trials to which Mrs. Grant was subjected as the wife of a lieutenant in the army in the 1840s and 1850s, she bore herself with much loyalty to her husband and children, her devotion being one of her most striking characteristics.
During the Civil War, she remained much of the time near her husband. She was with him at City Point in the winter of 1864-1865 and accompanied him to Washington when he returned with his victorious army. For eight years she filled the arduous position of mistress of the White House in a most charming manner. Her regime was marked by dignity, simplicity and homelike ways that endeared her to all who came in contact with her. She assumed her duties of the Lady of the White House with these same characteristics. At no time in the history of our country has any woman who presided over the White House been called upon to conduct more brilliant functions than was Mrs. Grant. Entering the White House so near the end of the war, there were more distinguished visitors to Washington than there had ever been during any administration.
Mrs. Grant received Royalty and the most illustrious of our country with such genuine hospitality and graciousness as to avoid all criticisms and to win universal admiration. It can be claimed she made no enemies and was much beloved for her goodness of heart and sympathetic disposition.
She accompanied her husband and son on a tour around the world in 1877 where they were received by the crowned heads of every country. Mrs. Grant was universally admired for her simplicity of her manner and sincerity of her greetings.
Her absolute devotion to her husband and children has left an example worthy of emulation. Her faithful vigilance during General Grant's long illness is especially to be admired. After the General's death, Congress voted her a pension of $5,000.00 a year. She spent her declining years in the National Capitol. Julia Dent Grant died December 14, 1902, and was laid to rest by the side of her distinguished husband in the mausoleum on Riverside Drive in New York.
Julia Dent Grant Tent #16 came into being through a special meeting called by Mary E. Whetstone to form a new tent of Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War. This meeting was held at Barr Branch Library, Jefferson and Lafayette Ave., St. Louis. MO.
Sister Clara Kirkpatrick came from Kansas City to institute this tent at the Saum Hotel, Shaw Avenue and Grand Blvd., on August 22, 1930. All members were sworn in by Mr. J.H. Eberle, a notary public. There were 33 charter members comprised of the following:
Mary E. Whetstone Anna Anschutz Anna Perry Mathilda Drews Helen Carter Haeberle Bessie Duggan Beatrice Harrison Angeline Eichelberger Frances E. Stead Harriet A. Green Catherine Quehl Olive Schnitzer Kathryn Wilmering Emma Hager Viola E. Winchell Ida Davis Minnie Firrell Ruth McCourt Esther Dreyer Lillian Sibley Marie Schimpf Florence Kraushaar Minnie Bringhurst Carolina K. Oldendorph Bertha Schuermann Anna Mueck Sarah Grey Mary Koelber Everly Hunstock Lillian James Mary Haverporth Cora Davis May Schulte
Sister Whetstone was the first President; Sister Schnitzer was Sr. Vice President; Sister Schimpf was Jr. Vice President; Sister Stead was Chaplain; Sister Dreyer was Treasurer; Sisters Drews, Wilmering, and Ida Davis were Council Members; Sister Hager was Patriotic Instructor; Sister Aunschutz was Secretary; Sister Perry was Guide; Sisters Winchell, Eichelberger, Cora Davis, and Mary Schulte were Color Bearers; Sister Kraushaar was Press Correspondent; and Sister Harrison was Musician.
Sister Kirkpatrick instituted the tent and installed the officers in their respective places. Annual dues were fixed at $2.00. The following donations were made by members present:
American Circle, Ladies of the G.A.R., a silk flag
Sisters Winchell, Haeberle, Wilmering, Harrison, and Drews, flags
Sister Eichelberger, a Bible
Sister Perry, a ballot box